What I am currently taking, and what I've tried:Currently using Helminthic therapy, Omega 3 fish oil, enzymes, probiocics, Vitamin D 5,000 MG (due to blood work),
IV vitamins or iron in an emergancy, Prednisone taper, and Humira ( when I was in the hospital). Tried fecal transplant.
Trying to fix some hormone/cortisol problems w/ melatonin, progesterone, and few other supplements. Oh, and I've been gluten free for about 6 years. Some things helped, others hurt.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The good days.

Those of us who experience extreme pain (and those of us who just get a glimpse of what others go through), all have those days. The "good" days... Contrasting those days, we look back at "great" days, and "terrible" days; and realize that good days should be appreciated.
A friend and I recently began talking, about how we had been having "good" days. In a way it is encouraging! Good days are always a much appreciated break from the bad ones, and a hope for great ones. But, in the good days somehow lie the foreboding that the bad ones might return. Life seems to be a cycle. Some of us have big, huge waves in our cycle, i.e. years of good "perfect" lives, followed by times that aren't so wonderful. For some of us it changes day to day. In the past month or so I've had of mostly good days, I've been trying to enjoy them to their potential, while preparing for what I deem the enevitable downturn that will come. As we speak my stomach sends a resounding "yes" to the recently quiet rumblings.
Usually, I write to Crohns patients, or those experiencing similar issues. This is for you, but also for everyone! How can we use our good days to prepare for those bad ones that will come? How can we invest in friendships while we have the chance? What projects can we get done, or prepare for? And what in the world really matters in life? Maybe we should concentrate on that.
And those of us with health issues...what can we do now. It is so easy to sit back, and think that we are doing "ok" now, ignoring the fact that even if our issue is under control, there will come a time when we will need to deal with it, or another one, in the future. Or, if we are doing really well (wouldn't that be wonderful!!), how can we help others learn more about how they can do better as well.
All this to say...I've had some good days. Through those God has opened my eyes to so many things that I'd love to be doing, and to share what I've been through and learned. At the same time, fear creeps in, that soon I will be in a state where some of my hopes won't be realized. For me, at this time, it is most likely reality. But what can I, and others, do in the mean time to make the most of what has been given us? I envy those with endless health and energy. Oh, what you can do! Don't take what you have for granted.
My next goal is to continue to research alternative methods that might help me. Be prepared! I am not your average patient, and poo isn't as far as I will go. (see the last post) On to helminths...


2 comments:

  1. I've dealt with depression since my youth, and I'm prone to melancholy anyway so developing Crohn's has not, to put it mildly, been easy for me. It's an overwhelming disease at times even for people far more emotionally stable than me.

    I have found that it's networking online with other Crohnies that has kept me fairly buoyant. I still get frustrated and I hurt, but I'm also always mindful that there are fellow Crohnies having worse experiences. I can't help them, but the least I can do is not degrade their misery by magnifying my own. Other people may not need this as much as someone like me, but I find it's a healthy check against my own negative proclivities.

    I try to anchor myself to the good days whenever I can. I confess: a lot of the times, I'm lying when I say that I'm downplaying the bad and emphasizing the good. But I know the power of mental persuasion and I hope that the more I tell myself that lie, the likelier it is that I'll actually believe it.

    Having my blog is a tremendous help, too. I can vent there--which is cathartic--and occasionally, I hear from readers who share things that are touching, humbling and encouraging. That kind of connection is what life should really be about in the first place, so I try to convince myself that my health woes are simply my way into that kind of interaction. I wouldn't go so far as to elevate it to an "everything happens for a reason" kind of thing; that's far too trite for my taste. But I've got the lemons anyway, so I may as well make the lemonade, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We understand the "good" days and "bad" days. It is one of the main reasons our organization was created. Our organization, Good Days from Chronic Disease Fund, is dedicated to helping chronic disease sufferers with their medical care. Please help these sufferers too, and support our organization! http://www.gooddaysfromcdf.org/

    ReplyDelete